Sunday, September 29, 2013

Key & Peele: Season One



Hilarious!!!!!
I don't typically write reviews. In fact this is my first. However, I was so surprised that there was not one review written for this DVD. So I decided to write one. This show is comprised of comedic shorts based on the observances of Keegan-Michael Key and Jordan Peele. These are two very intelligent and funny men who are interracial. Their comedy styles are different but compliment each other giving each sketch a bit more than just the typical funny. The sketches range from the archetypal stereotypes to Obama to ultimate fighting to gay marriage and they are all very entertaining. I can't wait to see what these clever gents have in store for us in the second season!

A review of the show, not the dvd.
Sorry, I don't have the dvd YET, but I will say that this show is way funnier than I ever thought it would be. Key and Peele are both former MadTv alumni, and upon seeing the promos for the first season on CC, I had already written the new show as another broad sketch show (ala the somewhat funny MadTv and the almost-never-funny Mind of Mencia) trying to once again recapture the magic of Chappelle show. Boy was I wrong. These guys are smart, witty and the sketches are often laugh out loud funny. Their sketches on race are never so broad or lowbrow as to be insulting (or worse, unfunny) and are often pretty insightful. This is kind of a happy medium between a MadTv -type show and a full on in your face Chappelle-type show...which leans, in my opinion, closer to the latter than the former. The live inbetween bits aren't as raucous because it's basicaly two improv veterans riffing and being goofy, but the sketches are all gold so far. I seriously hope this gains enough of a following to...

Great stuff!
Really love these guys, they are so funny. I enjoy the "standup" type discussion they have between videos, just as much as I do the actual video part. Awesome stuff!

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment