Thursday, October 10, 2013

Los Lonely Boys: Cottonfields and Crossroads



The rest of the success story of Los Lonely Boys
Well now, baby, I'm from Texas
And I just wanna let you know
'Bout the ways of life and livin' baby
On them Cottonfields and Crossroads

That's the first verse of Los Lonely Boys' song "Cottonfields and Crossroads". It is a blues song that talks about rural West Texas and the part of town that we don't always get to see.

In turn, that song title is applied to Hector Galan's documentary of the early part of Los Lonely Boys ascent from (very) young men backing their dad, to taking creative control themselves, to becoming an Austin, then national favorite.

And you know what? Mr. Galan takes us to that same part of town in those same rural West Texas towns to show the influences on los hermanos Garza.

Not in a sad or exploitational way, but as a means of setting the scene for the explosive arrival of Los Lonely Boys and Texican Rock and Roll.

For those of you not into long reviews, here's the summary. GO BUY THIS...

C & C... A Texican Story of Famila, Struggle, and Success
I discovered the music of Henry, Jojo, and Ringo Garza one day while browsing CDs at a music store. I listened to a sample of the first track, and I did something to me. The second track was as equally great. By the third sample, I had chills. The SRV/Hendrix/Santana guitar sound was pouring out with a unique passion. The harmonies reminded me of The Beatles, America, and Eagles. I purchased the CD and started to search for information about Los Lonely Boys. I related personally to these brothers from San Angelo on many levels.

Before all of this happened, though, there was a story to be told. A story about three brothers and their family and their music. Hector Galan, director of Cottonfields and Crossroads, saw them perform when they were playing in a small Austin bar and felt compelled to capture their electifying stage presense and raw ... yet polished sound. All of this was before Grammys, magazine covers, and television appearances.

Don't make the...

Wonderful Documentary
I finally was able to see this film in December after a long wait to see it. The Galans did a wonderful job and captured not only the music but the heart of the Garza family.

It was worth wating for, and I will be adding it to my collection.

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment